After the abrupt closure of the Solar Victoria Panel Rebate, Victorians have been eagerly awaiting news of the second round of solar rebates starting on July 1st, 2019. Solar Victoria have now announced their plans for the second round of solar rebates for Victoria.
The rebates include solar panel systems, solar for rental properties, interest-free loans and solar batteries.
Solar Panel (PV) Rebate
Solar Homes is helping Victorian households reduce their energy bills by offering a point of sale discount on the cost of a solar panel PV system. Homeowners and rental properties will be able to apply for a maximum discount of $2,225 through the online portal.
The rebate application process is as follows:
- Contact your chosen solar provider for a quote.
- Your retailer will then upload this to the Solar Victoria Portal, which will begin the online process for your eligibility assessment.
- You will then need to upload proof of income and a Rates notice.
- Once your eligibility is confirmed your retailer will claim the rebate on your behalf and deduct this amount from the total cost of your system.
- You then pay the outstanding balance to your provider.
Are you eligible?
You may be eligible to receive the solar panel rebate if you meet the following criteria:
- Owner-occupier of the property
- Owners have a combined taxable income of less than $180,000 per year.
- It is an existing property, valued under $3 million.
- They do not have an existing system.
Solar for rental properties
From July 1st rental properties will also be able to take advantage of the solar panel rebate. The eligibility criteria is the same as above. There will be two streams in the Solar for Rental Properties Program, they are:
Stream 1 – July 1st
The Landlord will pay the remaining cost of the solar system after the rebate has been deducted from the total cost.
Stream 2 – October
The tenant will be offered a rebate and an interest-free loan, to contribute to the cost of the system.
This will be subject to a rental lease agreement between the tenant and the landlord. The tenant and landlord will then both pay the outstanding balance.
The application process for the Solar for Rental Properties Program is as follows:
- Download the Solar Homes Landlord-Tenant Agreement from the Solar Victoria website and ensure all parties agree.
- If eligibility requirements are met the landlord can start the application process by obtaining a quote from their chosen retailer.
- If the landlord and tenant/s are confirmed as eligible the landlord will receive an eligibility number.
- The installer will use this number as confirmation to go ahead with the installation.
Solar Victoria are offering interest-free loans, equivalent to the amount of their rebate, to eligible households to help pay for their solar panel systems.
You will be notified of your eligibility for a loan as part of the rebate application process via the Solar Victoria Portal. Loans must be paid within a four-year period, or sooner. The interest-free loans are not available for solar hot water or solar batteries.
Solar Battery Rebate
Do you already have a solar panel system? The Solar Homes program is also offering eligible Victorian households a half price discount of up to $4,838 off a solar battery to compliment an existing PV system.
The program will initially just be a pilot to test and identify demand and battery usage, with only 1,000 rebates available. The rebates will be available to people in designated suburbs and the eligibility criteria is the same as above.
To apply, solar homeowners must first obtain a battery quote which will kick start the application process. If confirmed as eligible you will receive an eligibility number that your installer will use to continue with your installation.
Information taken from Solar Victoria on 18th June 2019.